In this lesson you will be guided through the creation of this girl with a butterfly on her shoulder. We will do a loose sketch initially and add more detail as we go. This piece is a simple mixture of collage, inktense blocks (see supply list for alternatives), watersoluble graphite, and some white soft pastel. You will learn all the techniques for collaging the background, sketching and colouring the face using watersoluble graphite and colour.
classroom is open!
This is a self-study online single mini-lesson that was filmed in my studio at my easel.
I have created these short mini lessons as one off projects. In them I invite you to follow along with me in a typical session in my day where I create a single artwork. I use varying techniques and materials.
In this lesson you will be guided through the creation of this girl with a butterfly on her shoulder. We will do a loose sketch initially and add more detail as we go. This piece is a simple mixture of collage, inktense blocks (see below for alternatives), watersoluble graphite, and some white soft pastel.
You will learn all the techniques for collaging the background, sketching and colouring the face using watersoluble graphite and colour.
You will receive just over an hour of full-length video that will walk you step-by-step through the process of creating your girl and her butterly. There is no fast-forward you will watch my entire process in real time.
The cost for this lesson is $18 US.
Who is this lesson for?
This is a beginners to intermediate lesson incorporating basic mixed media techniques and simple sketching. It is a work at your own pace lesson. You will gain access to over an hour of video in which I walk you through various mixed media and sketching techniques. This is an open ended workshop with no expiration date. All the videos are downloadable and yours to keep.
What supplies will I need for the lesson?
Please use what you already have in your collection. The items below are what I have used in this lesson.
- Matte gel medium
- Inktense blocks (or pencils) – these are ink based and watersoluble, you could also use watercolour pencils or neocolor/lyra watersoluble crayons
- Large round watercolour quill brush or similar
- Vintage papers or scrapbook papers – eg. old letter or sheet music – something neutral
- Paint brush for collaging
- Graphite pencils – I am using Lyra watersoluble graphite crayons 2b, 6b & 9b (you could also use Derwent or Faber Castel watersoluble grahite pencils)
- Acrylic paint – white and a buff/cream (I use Jo Sonja Smoked Pearl and Tit. White)
- Old credit card or piece of cardboard
- White soft pastel (or white charcoal)
- Canvas A3 size – (12 x 16″) (you can use any size you like or also thick paper would work)
Accessing your lesson
This class has immediate access. When you proceed through the checkout you will be asked to login (if you have previously purchased another class) or register (if this is your first class on this site). Following your purchase this class will appear in your My Courses page when you login under My Classroom in the website menu. You can always find your classes here https://www.toniburt.com.au/my-courses/
**Due to the nature of the immediate availability of this course, all online classes are non-refundable.
If you have any questions?
If you have any questions at all please contact me via the contact page. I will do my best to reply to your message within 24 hours. NB: I am located in Australia so there might be a little timezone difference!