Welcome to the “texture & tone” classroom!
There are two things I love the most and they are collagey texture and lovely soft watercolour -and this class combines them both! ….and of course three lovely girls who are the subject of our fixation!
We are going to use lovely fabric and plaster backgrounds – which in themselves are a work of art 🙂 ….and then sketch and colour to our hearts desire as we create our girls. We use tonal values of a very limited range of colours – in most cases just one (plus lovely white!) to create striking arworks full of emotion. Dark and light tones (or values) are so simple to work with and take the guesswork out of which colours to put where, we just use dark and light versions of one colour.
Let’s get going with our lovely goddess girls – Calliope, Alethea and Melete!
This page contains all the classroom content and links
to the videos for the three lessons (which are right at the bottom of this page!).
If we are not already friends on Facebook, please send me a friend request at Toni Burt
I have a private facebook group for all of my classes “a journey for the soul”. Here you can share your artwork with others taking my classes, and gain feedback and ask questions.
I will add or invite you to the group after you join the class.
(If your login email and facebook email are different please message me as sometimes it is difficult to join the group as it is a secret group.)
Scroll to the bottom of this page where you will find the link to the lesson videos.
Please use what you already have in your collection. The items below are what I have used in this class.
- Fabric – I use bleached calico (muslin in the USA), you will need about 1 metre/yard. (If you choose you can use paper or canvas to create your pieces on instead of the fabric)
- Cheesecloth (scraps used for collaging)
- Joint compound (sold in small buckets at your hardware store)
- Liquitex Gel Medium – matte
- Vintage papers or ephemera, sheet music, old book pages, old sewing patterns, patterened napkins etc.
- White Gouache
- Water soluble medium – I use Hydrus Liquid watercolour, you could also use Inktense blocks or regular watercolours. Colours I use are Sepia, Burnt Umber, Venetian Brown & Indian Red.
- Plastic scraper or an old credit card for collaging and plaster
- Paint brush for gesso’ing
- Medium size soft flat brush
- Round watercolour brushes – large
- Palette knives (large size)
- Brayer (large) – optional
- Kitchen non stick baking paper, to protect your surface
- Watersoluble graphite pencil (Lyra or Derwent) – I use a Derwent medium wash
- White soft pastel (I prefer Rembrandt)
- Sealer spray satin or matte finish – for your finished artwork
These are the Hydrus watercolours I used (click to enlarge):
Burnt Umber, Sepia, Venetian Brown & Indian Red
The video’s have been broken down into short intervals. Please work at your own pace.
There is no need to hurry. You have access to this class indefinitely so relax and enjoy the creative process!
You can watch the video’s within the classroom or click on the download link under each one.
When you are taken to the download page click on the “download” button
and choose your quality/size.
PDF containing step by step instructions & supply list
click on the link below the picture to open the pdf
Reference sketches (click to enlarge):
Large size complete artworks (click to enlarge):
All classroom content is the copyright of Toni Burt 2018, please do not distribute outside of this class.
Access class content and video downloads are for personal use only, thank you.
Please refer to the FAQ’s in regard to copyright here.
CLICK THE LESSONS BELOW TO GO TO THE VIDEOS.