I’m so delighted to be bringing this class to you – it combines so many of my favourite things! Come with me as we delve into the “otherworld” where imagination speaks to us. Let’s explore and learn how to use a variety of mixed media to create our earthly girls and their forest friends.
“of the otherworld” – classroom now open!
I’m so delighted to be bringing this class to you – it combines so many of my favourite things! Come with me as we delve into the “otherworld” where imagination speaks to us. Let’s explore and learn how to use a variety of mixed media to create our earthly girls and their forest friends. We create ethereal backgrounds for our pieces using soft pastels and collage. Beautiful mother earth really shines her light in this class!
The cost for this class is $42 US.
“We live in two worlds… the world into which we were born,
and the otherworld that was born within us.”
– a druid homily –
In this class we will complete three main projects.
We will begin each of our pieces with gorgeous vintage collage. Next we will sketch our lovely girls and their friends. I show you simple processes to do this, these are fairly easy drawings and created with simple sketchy linework.
We then use water based media to colour our sketchwork. I will show you how I create my emotive faces in simple and easy to follow techniques. We keep a nice loose sketchy style to our drawing and colouring which really brings out the emotion of each piece.
Finally, and most importantly, we nestle our girls into their surrounding by using soft pastels in a way that enhances the dimension and ethereal quality of our work. I show you how I use pastels – it’s simple and creates great depth. We incorporate lovely natural elements such as leaves, the moon, and some symbology, to personalise our work.
This class includes a step by step pdf document, and a selection of downloadable collage papers that I use in the lessons.
This is an open ended workshop with no expiration date. Plus all the videos are downloadable and yours to keep!
Who is this class for?
Anyone who wants to learn about mixed media, and we use a lot of it in this class! We explore collage, watersoluble media, pastels, sketching and more. This is a beginner to intermediate class. You will gain access to around 5 hours of video in which I walk you through various mixed media and collage techniques , step by step in full detail.
You will have access to the private FACEBOOK GROUP with others that are also taking my classes to share your work and get feedback.
I can’t find enough adjectives to explain all I’ve learned from Toni. Her style, generosity and in-depth instructions have made me a better artist.Most importantly she is a unique, generous, warm-hearted human being that I am very proud to call an artist friend.
– Jane S.
***Click here to see what students have said about previous classes.
What supplies will I need for the class?
Please use what you already have in your collection.
The items below are what I have used in this class.
- 3 x Canvas board or wood panel – 11×14 (or similar)
- Gel medium – I use gloss and matte (liquitex or similar)
- Vintage papers, sheet music etc. Copied prints for image transfer, patterned napkins
- Assorted acrylic or craft paints – white, cream, – neutral colours
- Watersoluble colouring media (I use both the Winsor and Newton markers and the Inktense blocks – you do not need both, one or the other work fine)
- Inktense blocks (or pencils) – these are ink based and watersoluble, you could also use watercolour pencils or neocolor/lyra watersoluble crayons
- Winsor and Newton watercolour markers – again as above you can substitute any water based marker such as Tombow, or watercolour pencils.
- Soft pastels (the chalky kind). Colours I use are 3 or 4 mustard yellows, aubergine/eggplant purples and soft grey greens. (I mainly use muted soft tones). You could substitute with oil pastels or any type of crayon. These are only used in the background of each piece.
- White soft pastel – for hightlights
- An old credit card or plastic scraper for collaging
- Variety of paint brushes
- Brayer (optional)
- Tortillion or paper stump (optional)
- Tracing paper (or transparent kitchen paper)
- Graphite pencils 6b or 8b, or any you already have
- Watersoluble Graphite pencils – I am using Derwent watersoluble graphite pencils light and medium wash (you could also use Lyra or Faber Castel watersoluble grahite pencils/crayons)
- Spray fixative
Accessing your class
This class has immediate access. When you proceed through the checkout you will be asked to login (if you have previously purchased another class) or register (if this is your first class on this site). Following your purchase this class will appear in your My Courses page when you login under My Classroom in the website menu. You can always find your classes here https://www.toniburt.com.au/my-courses/
**Due to the nature of the immediate availability of this course, all online classes are non-refundable.
If you have any questions?
If you have any questions at all please contact me via the contact page. I will do my best to reply to your message within 24 hours. NB: I am located in Australia so there might be a little timezone difference!