welcome to the “to the moon” mini class 🙂
In this lesson you will be guided through the creation of this girl and the moon imagery. This piece is a simple mixture of collage, water based markers, inktense blocks (see below for alternatives), watersoluble graphite, and some white soft pastel. This is a very simple girl to sketch with minimal detail, perfect for beginner and intermediate levels.
I love this loose way of creating art that speaks to my soul, and I hope it does yours 🙂
We start with collaging our background using old vintage sheet music and dress patterns. You can alternate with any other neutral toned papers you have. You can find old sheet music books at junk and antique stores, they are also available on ebay and etsy. You will also find them plentiful online to download and print!
This girl is really simple to sketch, let yourself be loose, and I encourage you to practice “looseness” in a small journal first if you feel nervous about it.
I have created a small series in this style, which I call my “quirky girls”. Below are some examples of what you can achieve.
I do hope you enjoy this mini-lesson, please ask if you have any questions at all 🙂
Scroll to the bottom of this page for the supply list.
Please use what you already have in your collection. The items below are what I have used in this lesson.
- Matte gel medium (liquitex or similar)
- Inktense blocks (or pencils) – these are ink based and watersoluble, you could also use watercolour pencils or neocolor/lyra watersoluble crayons. I use colours 2010 and 2120)
- Winsor and Newton watercolour markers – again as above you can substitute any water based marker or watercolour pencils. (I use colours 744, 074,554 & 609)
- Medium round watercolour brush
- Vintage papers or scrapbook papers – eg. old letter or sheet music, old dress pattern – something neutral
- Paint brush for collaging
- Watersoluble Graphite pencils – I am using Derwent watersoluble graphite pencils medium and dark wash (you could also use Lyra or Faber Castel watersoluble grahite pencils/crayons)
- Graphite pencil 8b
- Acrylic paint – white and a buff/cream (I use Jo Sonja Smoked Pearl and Tit. White)
- Old credit card or piece of plastic to smooth collage
- White soft pastel (or white charcoal)
- Paper A3 size – (approx. 12 x 16″) (you can use any size you like I am using 225gsm watercolour paper)
All classroom content is the copyright of Toni Burt 2017, please do not distribute outside of this class.
Access class content and video downloads are for personal use only, thank you.
Please refer to the FAQ’s in regard to copyright here.