Welcome to the “soul stories” classroom 🙂
The more art I create, the more that I want to incorporate more of ‘me’ into it, and when I say ‘me’ I mean the soul of me, the best part of me. The “most of the time hidden” part of me. I want to encourage that part of me to express itself more, to come to the forefront, to come out of hiding.
But how do you do that? – a little bit at a time, one step at a time, slowly and gently. Look for the little things in life that make your heart skip a beat, make your soul soar with delight. You have to be quiet to notice them. The sun on your face, a bird flitters by, a butterfly lands on your shoulder. Or maybe you delve into a deck of tarot cards, sometimes I pluck one and it makes my heart flutter or creates a feeling deep inside me, and I know it has struck a cord. Those little things that evoke a feeling in you are what we are going to express in this class.
I use the imagery of tall trees in a forest, the moon, and the crow in my three projects, but please follow your intuition, or soul, and choose what has meaning to you. The same techniques will apply, you’ll just make different marks. Of course you may choose to follow me quite closely in each project, then when you get the feel for it have a go at your own soul story. Choose the process and journey that is right for you 🙂
This page contains all the classroom content and links to the videos for the three lessons (which are right at the bottom of this page).
If we are not already friends on Facebook, please send me a friend request at Toni Burt
I have a private facebook group for all of my classes “a journey for the soul”. Here you can share your artwork with others taking my classes, and gain feedback and ask questions.
I will add or invite you to the group after you join the class.
(If your login email and facebook email are different please message me as sometimes it is difficult to join the group as it is a secret group.)
Please remember that you can use whatever substrate you choose, I use two stretched canvases and a journal.
Scroll to the bottom of this page where you will find the link to the lesson videos.
Please use what you already have in your collection. The items below are what I have used in this class.
- Stretched canvas – 12×16 and 8×16 inches
- Art journal (mine is around 8×10 inches)
- Liquitex Matte Gel
- Vintage old book pages – words for poetry (I will link to my Pinterest board)
- Plastic scraper or an old credit card for collaging and painting
- Paint brush for collaging
- White Gesso
- White Gouache
- Watercolours – I use raw umber and sepia.
- Fluid acrylic paints – white plus a couple of netural cream. buff colours
- Heavy body acrylic paints – white plus some colours for your background (I use blues and greens)
- Medium and large size flat brushes – soft
- Medium and large round watercolour brushes
- Small stiff flat brush
- Palette knives (mixture of medium and large sizes)
- Charcoal pencil – I use General’s Peel and Sketch – soft
- White soft pastel (I use Rembrandt)
- Tracing paper – optional
- Sealer spray satin or matte finish – for your finished artwork
- Dorlands wax for finished artwork – optional
The video’s have been broken down into short intervals. Please work at your own pace.
There is no need to hurry. You have access to this class indefinitely so relax and enjoy the creative process!
You can watch the video’s within the classroom or click on the download link under each one.
When you are taken to the download page click on the “download” button
and choose your quality/size.
PDF supply list
click below to open the printable supply list.
Pinterest board of poetry
Pinterest reference images
All classroom content is the copyright of Toni Burt 2018, please do not distribute outside of this class.
Access class content and video downloads are for personal use only, thank you.
Please refer to the FAQ’s in regard to copyright here.